House Bill 121 was approved on June 21, 2021 and filed with the Secretary of State on June 23, 2021. This Bill has amended Florida’s Remote Online Notarization Laws and will take effect beginning January 1, 2022. Here’s some of the changes YOU, as a Florida Commission Notary, have to look forward to:
- A notary public is entitled to select a particular technology in performing notarial act with respect to electronic record;
- Revision of limitations on notary public fees;
- A notary public has the ability to notarize for non-U.S. Citizens using foreign identification;
- A notary public may use audio-video communication technology to remotely swear in individuals who testify
- A notary public may use audio-video communication technology to remotely swear in new attorneys admitted to The Florida Bar;
- A notary public may delegate the duty to secure repository; and
- A notary public may not sell or offer to sell information obtained during a remote notarization, either from the individuals or the documents.
For additional information please visit the Florida Senate webpage at https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/121.